#DayAndNightDressChallenge – Stripes & Dresses

(in Deutsch lesen)

When Elizabeth (@elizabethmadethis) announced her sewing challenge #dayandnightdresschallenge at the beginning of January, I was just making plans for the year and formulate certain resolutions. Among other things, I’m not a big dress wearer. So, one of my resolutions was to NOT sew a single dress (more or less). That I did not stick to it, can already be seen in the title. Two new dresses are now part of my me-made wardrobe

dayandnightdresschallenge3.png

The task was to sew a cocktail dress, something chic to go out, and a coffee dress, for a coffee date with girlfriends. The cocktaildress part was a bit of a headache for me. I did not want to invest a lot of time and material in a dress I would most likely wear very, very rarely. It took a while, but at some point I remembered an almost finished summer dress, which I temporarily stored (and forgot) at my parents, because of a zipper problem.


The Cocktaildress

I have already presented the cocktail dress – the just mentioned UFO –  on the Sewcialists-Blog for the stripe theme of February. The skater dress with the “American” shoulder – I had to smirk, as I read that – from the Burdastyle draw me in immediately. Since I do not have a particularly pronounced waist, it is always exciting to see to what extent this deviation from the measurement chart has an influence on the sewing. Since the pattern pieces were difficult to modify (for me), I just added more seam allowance in the side seams.

The sewing process was – except for the zipper – unproblematic. After lumbering around for a long time, I’m glad to finally have a finished garment – even if this zipper was sewn by Sabine (very professional). But I’ll try the next invisible zipper myself.

Pattern: skaterdress, burdastyle 07/2017, mod. 101 – Size according to bust measurement, 1.5cm seam allowance in the side seam for ajustments.

Fabric: thin, blue/white popelin from my stash


The Coffeedress

My goalg for my second dress was to match the cocktail dress. My idea was a simple jersey dress in a striped fabric. The sewing pattern Fine (by a German Indie label) would have been in line with this idea, I’ve sewn it once , but something made me hesitate. The same thing happened to me with the pattern Solange by LMV. In the end a RTW T-shirt dress convinced me, that was described as “boxy” and had a back length of 80 cm – and (in the worst case) could be shortened to a top. With this dress as a model, I went on a pattern search, and finally came across the TimpeTee by schneidernmeistern that waited already printed in my stash.

The adjustment was easy to draw. Cutting was of course not that easy with the stripes, but overall the entire sewing process was straightforward. I reinforced the facing with elastic Vlieseline. The only problem for me was hemming. I have a very awkward relationship with my twin needle (and my coverlock is well kept in the closet). Surprisingly, I have found a setting for my fabric, through which no piping was created. These seams are also the only really interesting detail as I have threaded a white and a blue bobbin.

Pattern: TimpeTee by schneidernmeistern – extented straight, till I reached 80 cm back length and shorther sleaves due to lack of fabric

Fabric: 1.2m blue/white jersey

dayandnightdresschallenge3.png

Advertisements

Write a Comment.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.